[Live-devel] openRTSP: Empty output file

Julian Pitney julian.pitney at uoit.net
Tue May 16 08:20:11 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm attempting to use testH264VideoStreamer to stream the output of my
RPi's camera to a LAN, and to receive/open the stream with openRTSP. I've
done this successfully using a raw h264 file as the source for
testH264VideoStreamer, however when I attempt to use the output of the Pi's
camera as the source (By modifying testH264VideoStreamer to read from
/dev/video0 or stdin, as suggested in the FAQ), openRTSP connects to the
stream successfully and appears to be playing the stream, but the output
file is always empty.

I read the FAQ and saw that the usual culprit for this is a firewall
blocking UDP packets. Based on my success when using an h264 file as the
source, and checking Wireshark to ensure the packets are getting through, I
think something else is going on. I'm wondering if this could be caused by
the h264 stream not being in the correct format (A problem with reading
from /dev/video0 or the output of "raspivid", for example). Please let me
know what you guys think.

Regards,
Julian