[Live-devel] Slow setup of h264 streams

Anders Sandven as at trafsys.no
Thu Sep 7 02:24:35 PDT 2017

Thank you for your patience :)

On 9/6/17 5:33 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> As a side note, this live555 mod was comitted/sent back as "minilive" around 2007/2009 according to my colleagues.
>
> I have no idea what you’re referring to here.  What “live555 mod”?  And the term “minilive" means nothing to me.

It was a stripped down version of live555 only containing RTSP/RTCP/RTP.
It modified the library code, and someone told me it was sent upstream,
because of LGPL i assume.
>> A pastebin with the output from live555ProxyServer if it is interesting: https://pastebin.com/2XXHTpU8
> Sorry, but this output shows that:
> - You are *not* using the latest version of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code (the only version that we support), and
> - You have modified the supplied code (to add extra debugging output, at least)
> I’m interested only in output from “live555ProxyServer -V” using the latest, unmodified version of the code.

https://pastebin.com/vJwVGZsg

The latest version works the same way as mentioned in the previous mail.

> Also, you should explain specifically what you mean by “slow setup” of streams.  Note that when you play a stream using RTSP, three separate commands are involved:
> - DESCRIBE
> - SETUP (one for each media track)
> - PLAY
> Where specifically is the delay (that you’re concerned about) occurring?

It happens after PLAY, when the H264or5VideoRTPSink tries to read the
input frames in doGetNextFrame(). According to the comments it is
looking for a valid NAL frame. I was thinking that maybe the old proxy
had a more naive approach to proxying the data, however I don't know if
that is the case. The old version works almost as fast as connecting to
the video stream directly.

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/