[Live-devel] RTSP stream over UDP or TCP?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 16 22:47:42 PDT 2018

> On Aug 16, 2018, at 10:35 PM, JEBARAJ SELVAPETER <jebaraj at tonboimaging.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I have a basic question:
>
> We are using live 555 for our application with RTSP. The RTP packets sent it through UDP or TCP? Is live555 supports both or only UDP or TCP?

By default, RTP packets are sent (from the RTSP server to the RTSP client) via UDP.  However, the RTSP client can also request that the server send the RTP packets via TCP (over the same TCP connection that’s used for the RTSP protocol).

> If both how to select UDP and TCP?

Our RTSP client implementation can request RTP-streaming-over-TCP in the RTSP “SETUP” command.  For example, see lines 227-229 in “testProgs/testRTSPClient.cpp”.

Our RTSP server implementation will automatically stream RTP packets over TCP, if requested by the client.

(Note, however, that you should use RTP-over-TCP streaming only if you have a firewall - between your server and client - that blocks UDP packet.)