[Live-devel] Zero Latency Live Streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 28 14:59:05 PST 2018

> If you need to use H.264 and must achieve low latency, you’ll have to modify your encoder to use a very conservative GOP structure.  Best to use no B frames at all.
>
> You can make an argument for no P frames, either.  That is, I-frame-only video, like MJPEG, but with about 20 years of advancement on still picture coding, making it about 2x more efficient.

I should also point out that should you decide that you want to stream raw (i.e. uncompressed) video over RTSP/RTP (i.e., using the RTP payload format described in RFC 4175), we also now support this - using the classes “RawVideoRTPSink” at the server end, and “RawVideoRTPSource” at the client end.  Of course, your network will need to have enough capacity to handle this.