[Live-devel] Zero Latency Live Streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 28 14:53:57 PST 2018

First, please properly trim old text (from the replied-to message) when replying to emails.

Second, you don’t need to go to random third-party sites (like ‘github’) to get “testRTSPClient”.  It is already part of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software; see
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/#testProgs

> Now I am however experiencing some fairly significant artifacts on the screen when a video is playing over the screen. Any hints as to why that might be happening?

Perhaps (at least some of) your H.264 ‘key frames’ are too big for “testRTSPClient”s receive buffer (by default, 100,000 bytes)?  Are you seeing error messages about byes being “truncated”?

In any case, you should reconfigure your encoder so that it breaks each ‘key frame’ into multiple ’slice’ NAL units.  This will make your video much more resilient to network packet loss.  Otherwise, the loss of even one RTP packet will make the entire frame unusable by the receiving client.  This is something that I have commented on numerous times; see, for example:
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2011-December/014190.html
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2012-August/015615.html
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-May/016994.html
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2014-June/018426.html