[Live-devel] ProxyServer sending RTSP "options" keep-alive without authentication

jiehui jiehui at gelement.com
Mon Jun 4 20:55:38 PDT 2018

Hi,

We are using the live555ProxyServer to proxy RTSP streams. It works fine
for most CCTV cameras, but the RTSP Stream keeps getting disconnected
and ultimately stops entirely for a CCTV camera.

After analyzing network traffic between the proxy server and the CCTV
camera in question, we realized that the proxy server is sending
"options" requests to the camera without authentication first, getting
an "unauthorized" reply, then re-sending with authentication. This
behavior caused the CCTV camera to invalidate the RTSP session. After re
setting up session for a few times, the CCTV camera then stopped
responding to "options" requests.

We've also tried using VLC player (V2.2.1) with the CCTV camera in
question. The RTSP Stream remains stable. VLC player is sending
"get-parameter" requests with authentication.

1. Is there any way to make the proxy server send "options" with
authentication?

2. Is the behavior of the CCTV camera in question correct? (According to
spec, or widely accepted?)

Best Regards,
Jie Hui