[Live-devel] ProxyServer sending RTSP "options" keep-alive without authentication

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 4 21:33:13 PDT 2018

> We are using the live555ProxyServer to proxy RTSP streams. It works fine for most CCTV cameras, but the RTSP Stream keeps getting disconnected and ultimately stops entirely for a CCTV camera.
>
> After analyzing network traffic between the proxy server and the CCTV camera in question, we realized that the proxy server is sending "options" requests to the camera without authentication first, getting an "unauthorized" reply, then re-sending with authentication.

Yes, this is normal protocol behavior.  I presume you’re running the “LIVE555 Proxy Server” with the
	-u <username> <password>
command-line option, to tell it the username and password of the back-end camera.

> This behavior caused the CCTV camera to invalidate the RTSP session.

If you’re using the correct username/password, then this seems like a problem (bug) with the back-end camera.

But, to be sure, please post an example of the diagnostic output from the "LIVE555 Proxy Server” - i.e., if you give it the
	-V
option (as well as "-u <username> <password>”, of course).