[Live-devel] The LIVE555 WebRTC demo is up again (sort of :-(

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 15 22:27:52 PDT 2018

Our WebRTC demonstration - at http://webrtc.live555.com/ - is working once again, sort of.  (It works for the Chrome and Opera browser, but I wasn’t able to get it to work for recent versions of the Firefox browser.)

My apologies for the long delay in bringing this back up.  Unfortunately the FFMPEG API for encoding/decoding changed significantly recently, and it took me a while to adapt our “FramedFilter” subclass code to work with the new FFMPEG API.

But now the bad news: I’ve decided not to continue work on this code, because I now feel it’s a ‘dead end’; WebRTC is not, IMHO, the best way to make RTSP streams viewable on Web browsers.

(At some point in the future, though, I may decide to release the FFMPEG interface code (used by the WebRTC demo to transcode incoming H.264 (or MPEG-4 or MJPEG) video streams into VP8) as open source, as it’s likely to be of general use to people who want to use FFMPEG with LIVE555 code.)