[Live-devel] follow-up posting #1 for live555proxyServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 27 21:07:09 PDT 2018

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

> 1) live555ProxyServer adds a new subsession, causing VLC to stop displaying streams.

Here’s the problem:

> ProxyServerMediaSubsession[rtsp://127.0.0.1:9554/,H264]: received RTCP "BYE".  (The back-end stream has ended.)

I.e., the ‘back-end’ server is, for some reason, deciding by itself to end.  I don’t know why it’s doing this; it appears to be a bug in the ‘back end’ server (not our proxy server).

> 3. live555ProxyServer does not handle -T <http_port_number> correctly.

I think you’re misunderstanding the purpose of the "-T <http_port_number>” option.  It is used to request RTSP/RTP/RTCP-over-HTTP streaming, ***when communicating with the back-end server***.  It works only if the back-end server supports RTSP/RTP/RTCP-over-HTTP streaming.  (Most RTSP servers do not support this.)

This is completely different from the port number that the ***proxy server*** uses to handle requests for RTSP/RTP/RTCP-over-HTTP streaming from ***front-end clients***.  This port number is chosen by the proxy server (by first trying to use port 80, then port 8000, then port 8080).

> 5. Cannot view http stream from Internet.

As noted above, you’re using the wrong port number here.  You should use the port number that the ***proxy server*** reports that it’s using for RTSP/RTP/RTCP-over-HTTP streaming.  This has nothing to do with whatever port you might have specified using the -T option.

> 7. (new) Is it necessary to place a trailing "/" after each rtsp source in the command line ?

Probably not.