[Live-devel] Live555 DLL rather than static libs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 17 11:59:17 PDT 2018

> In general, our legal staff will never approve the use of modified GNU licensed software.  It seems that the WEB is full of trolls which search for corporations which use GNU licensed software, and have failed to publish or comply precisely with the license, and either charge us a fortune, make us publish all of our source code.

The only people who can enforce the copyright on a piece of software (or any other copyrighted thing) are the people who actually hold the copyright on the software.  These people are not ’trolls’ - they’re the *owners* of the software.  (Perhaps you’re confused with “patent trolls”, who enforce bogus patents on obvious ‘inventions’ - patents that should never have been issued.)

I hope your legal staff doesn’t consider Live Networks, Inc. (the company that owns/licenses this software) to be a ’troll’.  (If they haven’t done so already, I hope they’ve read:	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license )