[Live-devel] Encrypting rtp stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Feb 22 08:03:33 PST 2019

> I suspect Ross wouldn’t immediately turn down an implementation of SRTP, if one were offered under a suitable license.

Actually, I have already implemented SRTP; I use this in our WebRTC demo.  However, I won’t be releasing this - at least, not right now - because:
1/ It's inefficient, requiring an extra copy to be made of each RTP packet.  This can’t be fixed until the LIVE555 code’s underlying buffer mechanism is overhauled/rewritten - which will be a lot of work.
2/ As I noted earlier, there’s no good way to use it right now with RTSP.  SRTP has been standardized only for RTSP 2.0 - which virtually nobody (including us) implements.
3/ Quite frankly, I’m getting a bit tired of constantly providing wrt. this software, and the unjustified sense of entitlement that this seems to foster among many of those who use it.