[Live-devel] multiple network ports

Jim Ham jimham at porcine.com
Thu Aug 6 18:53:54 PDT 2020

On 8/6/2020 6:07 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> On Aug 7, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Jim Ham <jimham at porcine.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a firewall box that I'd like to also act as a streaming server. It has two network ports. Can I tell live555MediaServer to serve a selected port? Or perhaps both ports? So far I've only gotten it to serve the internal network, not the external one.
>
> First, I assume that you mean “IP address”, rather than “port”.  (But if you really meant “port”, then you could specify this by including it in the “rtsp://“ URL.)

This box has two physical network interfaces. One has the static address
of 192.168.0.1 and serves the internal lan. The other has an address
assigned by the router that attaches to my fiber connection to the
outside world. It's current address is 192.168.1.251. I wouldn't expect
this to change often, if ever.

> By default, the server uses the network interface that’s used for IP multicast routing - i.e., the one that has a route for 224.0.0.0/4.  (The reason for this is that it uses IP multicast to detect its own IP address.)
>
> So, the easiest way to choose a particular network interface is to reconfigure your host so that it uses that network interface for IP multicast routing.  You should be able to do this by running (as root):
> 	route add 224.0.0.0/4 ip-address-for-that-nic

I'm struggling to understand the implications of this. It doesn't seem
reasonable to change multicasting to the outside interface. I need to
understand this better.

> Alternatively, you could try adding - as the first statements in your “main()” routine, the following:
> 	SendingInterfaceAddr = ReceivingInterfaceAddr = our_inet_addr(“x.y.z.w”);
> where “x.y.z.w” is the IP address of the interface that you want.

I'll look at the sources to see if I can do this. At the moment it seems
to be the best approach. It does mean that if my router decides to
change the address, I'll have to recompile.

Do I have this right?

Jim Ham

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.