[Live-devel] using stdin for live555MediaServer

Simon Brown sbrown at microvideo.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 08:29:43 PDT 2020

On 24/08/2020 15:08, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> Is there any reason why or how test testOnDemandRTSPServer would be blocking my main program from running?
> No, but it sounds like there’s something wrong in the way that you’re “spawning the testOnDemandRTSPServer from within my main program and connect pipes to it and then pushing the data into this pipe”.
>
> You should make sure that you can walk, before you try running.
>
> Why not simply do the following:
> 	1/ Have your encoder simply output to ‘stdout’, rather than trying to spawn “testOnDemandRTSPServer”, and creating pipes itself.  Then run, from the command line (again, make sure that each step works OK before moving to the next step):
> 	2/ your-encoder-program > source.ts
> 	3/ your-modified-testOnDemandRTSPServer < source.ts	(make sure that RTSP clients (“openRTSP” and “VLC”) can receive data OK from this)
> 	4/ your-encoder-program | your-modified-testOnDemandRTSPServer	(again, make sure that RTSP clients can receive data OK from this)
Thanks for your help.  I have a slight problem in that stdout gets sent
all sorts of other garbage, but I have redirected the encoder output to
stderr, and if I run "my-encoder 2> source.ts" and then
"testOnDemandRTSPServer < source.ts" it plays.  But as soon as I try
step 4, I can receive my usual UDP stream up until I enable the output
to stderr, and I can view the RTSP stream, but only for a few seconds.
I will see what is involved in removing all the stdout output and then
using that instead, because redirecting stderr to the stdin isn't a
simple process either.
> In other words, why bother having your program go through all the work of setting up/writing to a pipe, and spawning “testOnDemandRTSPServer”? Instead, simply do all of this from your shell's command line.  That’s one of the good things about Unix.
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/
Simon Brown