[Live-devel] FYI: The "LIVE555 HLS Proxy"

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Feb 25 07:53:18 PST 2020

On Feb 25, 2020, at 8:03 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2020, at 3:56 AM, Ralf Globisch <rglobisch at csir.co.za> wrote:
>>
>> That's great news Ross, can't wait to try it out.
>>
>> Are there currently any plans for supporting audio (e.g. AAC) in the
>> pipeline?
>
> Possibly, but I’d first need an example of a (publically-accessible) RTSP video+audio stream (that I could use for testing).  (In reality, almost all RTSP streams out there (e.g., securitty cameras) are video-only.)

It’s raw UDP/RTP rather than RTSP, but this box should do what you need for testing:

    https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-duo/

Hook an antenna to it, and there in tech-rich Silicon Valley you should have lots of streams to play with.  (You might find its model number easier to search for: HDHR5-2US)

Here’s the portable command line app you’ll need to get started with:

    https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config
    https://github.com/Silicondust/libhdhomerun

The codecs you’ll see will vary from market to market, but if you can’t find H.264 + AAC there where you live, implementing support for what you *do* find should be valuable to someone.  I expect there’s a lot of MPEG-2 + AC3 still out there in the world, for example.

This then opens a question I didn’t see addressed on your new web page: what does this program do for storage when the stream is basically never-ending, as with live TV?  I assume your program writes the chunked TS files to disk for serving by the web server, but if you hook it up to a live TV box like the HDHomeRun, can it fill the disk, or is there a way to set it for automatic storage pruning short of restarting the app?