[Live-devel] [live555] video has big delay if use trigger event to deliver frame

Zhang Qian(张倩) qianzhang at asrmicro.com
Wed Jul 1 23:41:24 PDT 2020

Hi Ross,

Refer to DeviceSource.cpp, I implement LiveVideoFramedSource class that extended from FramedSource and get video frame by PUSH mode. It means it will trigger event to deliverFrame when frame is available and call FramedSource::afterGetting(this) when frame size is > 0.

I can use VLC player to play video streaming from rtsp server when live camera frame fps is 25fps, but I found video has big delay for VLC client after a while.
I check the log, and find it costs about 10ms for socket select frequently in BasicTaskScheduler.cpp. Seems that it impacts to send video RTP packets in real time for live555 is running in single thread.

BasicTaskScheduler.cpp
int selectResult = select(fMaxNumSockets, &readSet, &writeSet, &exceptionSet, &tv_timeToDelay);   //cost about 10ms frequently

I would appreciate some guidance on the issue. ☺ 

Thanks.
/Qian