[Live-devel] waiting for SPS/PPS

Matthew Czarnek mczarnek at edge360.com
Mon Jul 6 06:55:56 PDT 2020

It appears Visual Studio does support Makefiles through the use of 'nmake'
but I don't believe (I could be wrong.. I'd love it if someone knew
otherwise) that Visual Studio can be used to open the makefile as a
project. However, it is possible to use CMake to do so. Which I personally
find to be quite handy for debugging purposes and understanding what's
going on behind the covers when my code interacts with Live555.

I'd recommend letting me whip up instructions for building using CMake to
generate a LIVE555 VS project once I'm finished with my current deadline at
work. Windows support seems important to me.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:00 PM Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 3, 2020, at 7:08 AM, Matthew Czarnek <mczarnek at edge360.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Heads up, the build instructions found here don't work:
> http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/#config-windows
> >
> > Visual Studio 2019 doesn't have a "Open Workspace" option. Or any other
> way of opening mak files that seems to do it.
>
> Makefiles have been the standard way to develop systems software for
> almost 40 years now.  If “Visual Studio 2019” does not support Makefiles,
> then I’ll probably just remove (and undocument) all support for building
> this code on Windows.
>
> (Support for building the code *for* Windows will likely remain, although
> even that isn’t guaranteed indefinitely.)
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Matthew Czarnek