[Live-devel] What is the correct way to use OutPacketBuffer::increaseMaxSizeTo when fFrameSize > fMaxsize?

Matthew Czarnek mczarnek at edge360.com
Mon Jul 13 11:33:57 PDT 2020

Hi Blake, I've been using a maxSize of 600,000 which hasn't had problems
other than this specific video and I suspect  this should be plenty for our
application. I'm testing at the moment using a 4k flv video that has h264
frames that is being read by my own custom ffmpeg file reader. Biggest
frames I'm seeing are 620,000. Think I'm going to quadruple it just in case
we see 8k and set it to 2,500,000.

The problem for me is that even truncating the frame the way I believe
should be correct (probably it is my mistake) it's still crashing
sometimes. Meaning if this is ever exceeded, Live555 throws an exception
that could affect other streams and take down the entire server, so guess
I'll have to find a way to split them at some point. But for the moment
this should fix the problem and be fine.

Would be really nice if Live555 could handle automatic resizing of this
buffer if it is ever too small.

Thanks Ross.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Blake Senftner <bsenftner at cyberextruder.com>
wrote:

> Just curious, Matthew, what is the resolution of the media you’re
> streaming?
>

> For my own needs, I’m using an OutPacketBuffer::maxSize Of 400000.
>

> That value was arrived after sampling of 1920x1080 streams of the type of
> video we process.
>
> I know my OutPacketBuffer::maxSize determination is naive.
>

> What are others using to determine the max size of their buffers?
>

> Blake Senftner
>
> Sr. Software Scientist | CyberExtruder
>
> bsenftner at cyberextruder.com

Matthew Czarnek