[Live-devel] [live555] RTP sequence number is not continuous when video bitrate is high (for example: 8Mbps)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 29 02:14:07 PDT 2020

> On Jul 29, 2020, at 9:05 PM, Zhang Qian(张倩) <qianzhang at asrmicro.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Ross,
>

> Sorry for misunderstanding. I catch the tcpdump log for rtsp server, and I use the TCP socket. Seems that these FU packets are not sent to TCP protocol stack. So I want to check whether these packets are lost in rtsp server for large bitrate.

Your stream’s bitrate is exceeding the capacity of your network.  You will lose RTP packets, ***even if you are streaming RTP-over-TCP***.  (If you are streaming RTP-over-TCP, then eventually the TCP socket, inside the sender’s OS, will run out of buffer space, and several writes to the TCP socket - by the RTSP server - will fail.  This is what you are seeing.)

You CANNOT avoid data loss if your stream’s bitrate exceeds the capacity of your network (which is usually a lot lower than the nominal ‘speed’ of your network interface).  This is physically impossible.  The ONLY solution is to reduce your stream’s bitrate.