HLSProxy

lists at sergtech.com.au lists at sergtech.com.au
Tue Jun 30 22:13:16 PDT 2020

Hi.

I am a little late to the party regarding the feedback on the HLSProxy,
but I have been looking at this tool recently as a means of buffering a
video in segments before processing parts of it for a project. I have
come across a number of issues, as follows

1. streamUsingTCP is never used, because continueAfterClientCreation1 is
called instead of continueAfterClientCreation0. Is there a reason for
this? In my limited testing I have not come across any issues with TCP
streaming at this point.

2. Something in the streaming functions used from hlsProxy (and my c++
is too limited to debug properly) does not appear to handle broken
streams well. In a sample set-up, I have

hlsProxy  --wireless link--> Router --wired link --> StreamSource

When I reboot the router, after wireless link is re-established, the
hlsProxy stalls, without receiving any additional data. It also does not
exit, stalling with

Wrote segment "/dev/shm/Tmp680/Tmp920.ts" (duration: 6.000000 seconds)
-> 65.800000 seconds of data stored
     Deleting segment "/dev/shm/Tmp680/Tmp910.ts" (duration: 6.000000
seconds) -> 59.800000 seconds of data stored

This behaviour is repeatable with all the stream sources I have tested.

     2.5 I would have expected the TCP version to exit at least, if only
due to tcp_timeout parameters, but even it does not.

3. I have not tried any H.265 streams, but will do so in the future. I
appreciate the addition of audio in recent code. I'm wondering if there
is a DiscreteFramer I could use for something like alaw (PCM ALAW).

Best Regards,

Sergiu