[Live-devel] Any feedback on the "LIVE555 HLS Proxy"?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 13 03:12:43 PDT 2020

A few months ago I added a new application to the source code release: the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy”
	http://www.live555.com/hlsProxy/
which allows you to view a RTSP stream from web browsers.

To date, I haven’t received a lot of feedback on this application, which suggests that probably not many people have been using it.

If you have not found this application particularly useful, I’d be interested to hear why.  Some possibilities:
	1/ Your favorite web browser doesn’t support viewing HLS streams
	2/ You don’t have a web server running on your computer (and setting one up would be too much of a pain)
	3/ Your RTSP server (e.g., camera) is stuck behind a NAT and/or firewall, and you have no way to access the HLS segments from the external Internet
	4/ Your RTSP source (e.g., camera) doesn’t generate H.264 video.  (Currently, the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” supports only H.264 video.)
	5/ Your RTSP source (e.g., camera) generates an audio stream as well as a video stream.  (Currently, the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” will proxy only the video stream (which must be H.264)
	6/ Some other reason?