[Live-devel] libssl and libcrypto libraries for Mac OS Big Sur?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 19 09:19:21 PST 2020

To (partially) answer my own question, I found the following online:

"New in macOS Big Sur 11 beta, the system ships with a built-in dynamic linker cache of all system-provided libraries. As part of this change, copies of dynamic libraries are no longer present on the filesystem. Code that attempts to check for dynamic library presence by looking for a file at a path or enumerating a directory will fail. Instead, check for library presence by attempting to dlopen() the path, which will correctly check for the library in the cache. (62986286)”

So apparently, for Mac OS Big Sur, I now have to apparently load the dynamic libraries at runtime by callng “dlopen()” (presumably within "TLSState::setup()”), rather than specifying dynamic library file names in the link line.

Has anyone got this to work for libssl and libcrypto in Mac OS Big Sur (for any code, not necessarily LIVE555)?  In particular, what should I use as the “path” parameter in the call to “dlopen()” (to get libssl and libcrypto, respectively)?