[Live-devel] CPU usage jumps high on SRTP streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Oct 15 16:22:43 PDT 2020

> On Oct 16, 2020, at 2:27 AM, Wu, Larry <larry.wu at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Ross,
>
> I found an issue when receiving the SRTP stream from BOSCH camera (3000i).
>
> To reproduce the issue:
> 	• #./testRTSPClient rtsps://user:Bosch_1234@192.168.1.10:9554/srtp=1 &
> 	• #top
>
> The CPU load will jump from 0.2% to 15% after 1~2 minutes.

Larry,

Thanks for the report.  I am able to reproduce this problem - using both “testRTSPClient” and “openRTSP”.  In each case, the CPU usage jumps after exactly 1 minute of streaming.

I am trying to figure out exactly where/how the CPU usage is occurring (but I’m finding this non-trivial, because I can’t get “gprof” to work with applications, such as these, that use SSL).  I’ll let you know what I find.  (If anyone has any more information about this issue, please let me know.)

However, I have found that the problem does not occur if the RTSP client application sends RTSP “OPTION” commands to the server every 30 seconds.  (In “openRTSP”, you can do this by adding “-K” to the command line.)