[Live-devel] License issues (was liblivemedia_2020.08.19-1_multi.changes REJECTED)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Oct 18 08:30:10 PDT 2020

Sebastian,

Thanks for the note.

As you noted, the omission of the LGPLv3 notice from all but one of these files was an oversight; I will fix this in the next release of the software.

The one exception is “liveMedia/rtcp_from_spec.c”.  Because it explicitly is a direct copy of (Appendix A.7 of) RFC 3550, I’ll be leaving this ‘as is’, except that I’ll add the copyright notice that appears in that RFC:
	Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003).  All Rights Reserved.
If Debian (or anyone else) considers this to be a problem, for whatever reason, then they’ll have to deal with this themselves.  This is the first time I've heard of anyone who might be bothered by this.

(As an aside, I’d personally prefer that Linux distributions *not* include old copies of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code, as they contain bugs (including, potentially, security vulnerabilities) that have been fixed in more recent versions.  Instead, developers using this code should use the latest version; see http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#latest-version .  (Note that, to my knowledge, the code is not used at all in any Linux *kernel*.))