[Live-devel] License issues (was liblivemedia_2020.08.19-1_multi.changes REJECTED)

Sebastian Ramacher sebastian+lists at ramacher.at
Sun Oct 25 07:19:12 PDT 2020

Hi Ross

On 2020-10-19 04:30:10, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for the note.
>
> As you noted, the omission of the LGPLv3 notice from all but one of these files was an oversight; I will fix this in the next release of the software.

Thanks!

> The one exception is “liveMedia/rtcp_from_spec.c”.  Because it explicitly is a direct copy of (Appendix A.7 of) RFC 3550, I’ll be leaving this ‘as is’, except that I’ll add the copyright notice that appears in that RFC:
> 	Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003).  All Rights Reserved.
> If Debian (or anyone else) considers this to be a problem, for whatever reason, then they’ll have to deal with this themselves.  This is the first time I've heard of anyone who might be bothered by this.

The problem is that the RFC states one is not allowed to modify the
document, meaning that the RFC itself is non-free. As far as I
understand it, the license allows to use it without restrictions in
derivative works such as the code in rtcp_from_spec.c.

I will try to contact our FTP masters and see if this is okay with them.
Otherwise we will have to remove live555 from Debian.

Cheers
--
Sebastian Ramacher