[Live-devel] Optimisations for pipe or UDP?

Simon Brown sbrown at microvideo.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 01:27:54 PDT 2020

Hi,

Another request.

Using:

ffmpeg -i udp://:61120 -c:v copy -an -f h264 pipe:1 |
./myTestOnDemandRTSPServer

I have had some raw h264 video finally playing at the correct frame
rate, etc.  However, in using ffmpeg to pipe it to
myTestOnDemandRTSPServer I find that ffmpeg runs out of buffer space
before long and so I can only get 15 seconds of video at a time.  If I
run ffmpeg on its own creating a file on the disk, then it can run
without buffer overrun errors.  Equally, if I run
myTestOnDemandRTSPServer from a file then it can play it without issue.
It seems to be the combination of the two that causes the problem.

So is there something that can be optimised with using pipes?  Or would
it be better to change the input of myTestOnDemandRTSPServer to use a
UDP source for the stream?

Regards,

Simon Brown

--