[Live-devel] Valgrind uninitialised values inside live555

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Aug 18 15:21:08 PDT 2021

On Aug 18, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for the report.  This was not a serious issue, but I’ve just released a new version (2021.08.18) of the code that should make ‘valgrind’ happy.

Valgrind is rather heavy-weight, essentially being a software CPU emulator at its lowest level, so it can “see” all memory I/O properly.  It has the great virtue that it works on all binaries, no matter how they were compiled.

However, if you’re able to build your own binaries, the ASAN option built into GCC and Clang for something like the last decade does most of what Valgrind does without nearly as much overhead.  I believe Google — the creators of ASAN — actually run their binaries like this in production, which should tell you something.

VC++ got ASAN support recently as well.