[Live-devel] Valgrind uninitialised values inside live555

Ulrich Teichert ulrich.teichert at luminator.com
Wed Aug 18 23:12:25 PDT 2021

Hi,

[del]
>However, if you’re able to build your own binaries, the ASAN option built into GCC and Clang for something like the last decade does most of >what Valgrind does without nearly as much overhead.  I believe Google — the creators of ASAN — actually run their binaries like this in >production, which should tell you something.

>VC++ got ASAN support recently as well.

I know this may not be the right place to discuss about ASAN vs. valgrind, but valgrind does more than ASAN does,
for instance, checking the arguments of system calls. If you look at the other tools included, like hellgrind or cachegrind,
you'll see what I mean. Don't see it only as a memory checker, valgrind (or rather the family of tools behind that name)
has grown out of that.

HTH,
Uli
PS: no, I'm not a valgrind developer, just a fan ;-)

Ulrich Teichert
Sr. Software Engineer, Technology Development Center VSS
Luminator Technology Group
P: +49 (4321) 539895-13
ulrich.teichert at luminator.com
https://www.luminator.com

LTG Rastatt GmbH | Office Neumünster Oderstrasse 47 | DE - 24539 Neumünster
Geschäftsführer: Franz Foth, Hans-Joachim Reich | Sitz der Gesellschaft: D-76437 Rastatt, Amtsgericht: Mannheim, HRB 521501
USt.-IdNr: DE144752608, Steuer-Nr: 39487/30502