[Live-devel] FYI: New "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software; changes the way in which we figure out our IP address

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Feb 5 15:49:51 PST 2021

I have just installed a new version (2021.02.05) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software that changes (improves) the mechanism by which we figure out our IP address.

Previously, we used a 'multicast loopback’ mechanism (sending a packet to a multicast address, receiving it, and noting the source address of the received packet).  Now, instead, we use the "getifaddrs()” function to get our IP address(es).

If "getifaddrs()" doesn't work, then we use the same 'fallback’ mechanism as before: "lookup host name” ->  resolve host name”

Should this not work for you - or if "getifaddrs()" is not defined on your system - then please let me know.  (If you wish, you can disable the “getifaddrs()” mechanism by compiling with NO_GETIFADDRS defined; if you do this, the code will use the fallback mechanism only.)