[Live-devel] Getting request headers in RTSPServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 22 08:10:27 PST 2021

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 7:14 AM, Idan Freiberg <idan at tokagroup.com> wrote:
>
> That basically means the server acts as a gateway behinds multiple backend video sources (RTSP sources). So I need to find a way in the application layer to route the traffic to the right backend rtsp server related to a specific video source.

You’re still not explaining your problem very well, but I assume - from your description - that you want something like this:

back-end RTSP stream 1	->	+————————————+
back-end RTSP stream 2	->	|						|
back-end RTSP stream 3	->	| Your ‘reverse’ proxy server	|	->	front-end RTSP client
back-end RTSP stream N	->	+————————————+

If this is the case, then I’d describe your "‘reverse’ proxy server” as being in front of "multiple backend video sources”; not “behind multiple backend video sources”.

Is your "‘reverse’ proxy server” intended to (somehow) select from one of these N back-end RTSP streams - so that only one back-end RTSP stream is streaming at a time (rather than having all back-end streams flowing simultaneously, with your ‘server’ somehow ‘mixing’ the incoming streams)?  If so, then how do you intend your server to choose which back-end RTSP stream to use?  In other words, what criteria would your server use to decide which back-end RTSP stream to use?

The usual way to do this would be to just use the stream name (in the front-end “rtsp://“ URL) to select the back-end stream.  I.e., each of the N back-end RTSP streams would be represented by a different stream name requested by the front-end RTSP client.  If these N back-end streams are known in advance, then you could do this already, with our existing ‘LIVE555 proxy server”, by running:
	live555ProxyServer <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-1> <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-2> … <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-N>