[Live-devel] Getting request headers in RTSPServer

Idan Freiberg idan at tokagroup.com
Mon Feb 22 10:02:42 PST 2021

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your help.

I'll try to better explain the situation:  RTSP clients will access my RTSP
reverse proxy server after some network NAT will translate their rtsp
address into my proxy address. i.e. rtsp://<real-backend-server-ip>/...
will be NAT translated into my proxy server ip. However the RTSP URL will
still contain the original backend server IP. I want to use the real
backend server IP for connecting to the real backend RTSP server from the
proxy. Moreover, multiple server might have the same URI suffix(i.e.
/video_stream1) so I don't want to ask for a different URI in the proxy.

I hope it's more clear now.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:25 PM Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>
wrote:

> > On Feb 22, 2021, at 7:14 AM, Idan Freiberg <idan at tokagroup.com> wrote:
> >
> > That basically means the server acts as a gateway behinds multiple
> backend video sources (RTSP sources). So I need to find a way in the
> application layer to route the traffic to the right backend rtsp server
> related to a specific video source.
>
> You’re still not explaining your problem very well, but I assume - from
> your description - that you want something like this:
>

> back-end RTSP stream 1  ->      +————————————+
> back-end RTSP stream 2  ->      |
> back-end RTSP stream 3  ->      | Your ‘reverse’ proxy server   |
>  ->      front-end RTSP client
> …                                                       |
> back-end RTSP stream N  ->      +————————————+
>

> If this is the case, then I’d describe your "‘reverse’ proxy server” as
> being in front of "multiple backend video sources”; not “behind multiple
> backend video sources”.
>
> Is your "‘reverse’ proxy server” intended to (somehow) select from one of
> these N back-end RTSP streams - so that only one back-end RTSP stream is
> streaming at a time (rather than having all back-end streams flowing
> simultaneously, with your ‘server’ somehow ‘mixing’ the incoming streams)?
> If so, then how do you intend your server to choose which back-end RTSP
> stream to use?  In other words, what criteria would your server use to
> decide which back-end RTSP stream to use?
>
> The usual way to do this would be to just use the stream name (in the
> front-end “rtsp://“ URL) to select the back-end stream.  I.e., each of the
> N back-end RTSP streams would be represented by a different stream name
> requested by the front-end RTSP client.  If these N back-end streams are
> known in advance, then you could do this already, with our existing
> ‘LIVE555 proxy server”, by running:
>         live555ProxyServer <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-1>
> <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-2> … <back-end-RTSP-stream-URL-N>
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

*Idan Freiberg *Software Engineer