[Live-devel] Multicast live source

Hinchcliffe, Mark Mark.Hinchcliffe at scientificgames.com
Fri Feb 26 09:18:49 PST 2021

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the quick response.

I followed your instructions but sadly no joy, but I think I know why.

It seems the vpn has been interfering.

When I turn off the vpn running just the *unmodified* testH264VideoStreamer with a file as input, it works, I can connect a client to it and play the file.

Whilst connected to the VPN (I have to be to access the camera) the openRTSP has to receive via TCP (so flags -t or -T are needed).

So my run command looked like this:

openRTSP.exe -v -t <camera-stream-rtsp-url> | testH264VideoStreamer.exe

and that appears to give me a sensible logging.

Then I try to play the multicast stream with VLC, which fails and generates this log:

-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
main: playlist is empty
live555 error: Failed to connect with <rtsp-streamer-url>/<streamName>
satip error: Failed to setup RTSP session
-- logger module stopped --

Then I tried to play it a couple of different ways with a second instance of openRTSP like so:

1) openRTSP.exe -v -P 30 <rtsp-streamer-url>

This generates me output files every 30 seconds, unfortunately they contain no data. (As I say this seems to be the VPN blocking me here).

I didn't expect these to work due to the multicast stream using UDP but included for completeness sake.
2) openRTSP.exe -v -t <rtsp-streamer-url>

This generates sensible sdp data then outputs "Failed to setup "video/H264" subsession: 461 Unsupported Transport".

3) openRTSP.exe -v -T 80 <rtsp-streamer-url>

This generates the following output:

Created new TCP socket 172 for connection
Connecting to <rtsp-streamer-url>, port 80 on socket 172...
...Connection to server failed: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
Created new TCP socket 172 for connection
Connecting to <rtsp-streamer-url>, port 80 on socket 172...
...Connection to server failed: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
Failed to get a SDP description for the URL <rtsp-streamer-url>/streamName: Connection to server failed: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it