[Live-devel] Port 5004 used for all instances of live555proxyserver while using rtp over udp

HAN Hao han.hao at stengg.com
Mon Jun 28 20:48:08 PDT 2021

> For unicast streams like this, it is the RTSP client that chooses the destination port number for RTP packets.  In particular, the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" - which acts as a RTSP client for each 'back-end' RTSP server (e.g., IP camera) - chooses the destination RTP port number for each stream, and it will always choose a different port number for each stream.  You should be able to see this by looking at the RTSP protocol exchange for each 'back-end' stream, which you can see by running "live555ProxyServer" with the -V flag (note the "client_port=" in each RTSP SETUP request from the proxy server).

> It appears that your intermediate "UP-Squared" boxes are likely responsible for your problem; it seems that they are remapping the port number of incoming RTP packets (from the back-end IP camera) to 5004.  You will need to disable this functionality in your "UP-Squared" boxes.   (Or, alternatively, remove your "UP-Squared" boxes entirely, and change your server so that it acts a a gateway, and is aware of both IP subnets.)

> In short, this is a problem with your networking setup, not a problem with the LIVE555 software.

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply!

I have checked through the data packets via Wireshark and it looks to me that the RTSP exchange between the server and the UP2 indicates that the live555proxyserver sent out a RTSP SETUP Request with client_port=5004-5005 on each instance. I have tried using datastead to stream directly from the camera via the UP2 and for the multiple instances I have attempted, the client_port has always been different between the server and the UP2 for both UDP and TCP. Any chance that this could be a live555 problem when it comes to RTP over UDP?

Thanks!

Regards,
Han Hao

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If this email has been sent to you in error, please delete it immediately and notify us. Please do not copy, distribute, or disseminate part or whole of this email if you are not the intended recipient or if you have not been authorized to do so. We reserve the right, to the extent and under circumstances permitted by applicable laws, to retain, monitor, and intercept email messages to and from our systems. Thank you.