[Live-devel] IP cameras, DHCP and IPv6

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 18 01:04:30 PDT 2021

Yes, this IP camera is probably doing the wrong thing by specifying an IPv4 address in its “o=“ line, but an IPv6 address in its “c=“ line.  But our code doesn’t even look at the “o=“ line; it cares only about the “c=“ line.

In this case, the IP camera is telling the client (via the “c=“ line) that it expects to be contacted via IPv6.  If the IP camera is not, in fact, reachable via IPv6, then this is a bug in the IP camera; you should contact the manufacturer of that camera, asking them to fix their bug.  This has nothing to do with us.

Remember: The IP camera is something that you have paid money for, so its manufacturer is under some obligation to you.  The LIVE555 software is something that you have paid nothing for, so we are under no obligation to do anything to accommodate this buggy server.