[Live-devel] [Mirasys] Live555 RTSP server questions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 7 00:06:58 PST 2022

> On Feb 7, 2022, at 8:46 PM, Victor Vitkovskiy <victor.vitkovskiy at mirasys.com> wrote:
>
> Currently when I create RTSP server with several sessions based on OnDemandServerMediaSubsession, seems that RTSP server supports any transport that client wants - it can be RTP over UDP or RTP over RTSP, all depends on client itself (what it will specify in SETUP->Transport header).
> Is there any setting inside RTSP server that can limit a list of supported transports?

Yes.  By default, a RTSP server will support RTP-over-UDP, and RTP-over-RTSP(TCP).  However, if you call
	setUpTunnelingOverHTTP()
(with a non-zero port number) on your “RTSPServer” object - as is done in the “testOnDemandRTSPServer” and “live555MediaServer” applications - then it will also support RTP-over-HTTP(TCP) .

Also, if you call
	disableStreamingRTPOverTCP()
on your “RTSPServer” object, it will not support RTP-over-RTSP(TCP) streams, nor RTP-over-HTTP(TCP) streams.  I.e., it will support RTP-over-UDP only.

In summary, if you want to support only RTP-over-UDP, then call
	disableStreamingRTPOverTCP()

(Note that there is no way to tell your server that to accept *only* RTP-over-TCP (RTSP or HTTP).   Nor will there ever be; RTP-over-TCP is generally discouraged.)

> Also, it is possible to tunnel RTSP session over HTTP / HTTPS, but seems that this can work only in addition for non-HTTP/HTTPS server and we can't host only HTTP / HTTPS, is that true?

I’m not sure I understand this question - but we currently support RTP-over-HTTP in both our client and our server implementation.  However, we currently do not support RTP-over-HTTPS  (for either our client or server), although it’s likely that we will support this sometime in the future.