[Live-devel] [Mirasys] Live555 RTSP server questions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 7 02:20:09 PST 2022

> On Feb 7, 2022, at 11:04 PM, Victor Vitkovskiy <victor.vitkovskiy at mirasys.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Ross,
>
> Actually, we have a requirement to support at least some secured streaming variant, so if we can use RTSP over TLS it will be good even if HTTPS is not supported.
> Could you please advise me how I can use this TLS?

If you want RTSP-over-TLS, but *not* SRTP, call:
	setTLSState(<certFileName>, <privKeyFileName>, False);
on your “RTSPServer” object, where <certFileName> is the (string) pathname of a certificate file, and <privKeyFileName> is the (string) pathname of a private key file - both in PEM format.  In this case, your server will need to be be running on port 322, otherwise the LIVE555 RTSP client implementation will not know that it needs to connect to the server using TLS.

If you want RTSP-over-TLS, *and* SRTP, call:
	setTLSState(<certFileName>, <privKeyFileName>, True);
on your “RTSPServer” object.  In this case, your server can be running on whatever port number you want; the URL (beginning with “rtsps://“) will tell the client that it needs to connect to the server using TLS.

Note that you don’t need to do *anything* to your client; it gets all of the information it needs from the stream’s URL, and from the server.

(Of course, all of this requires OpenSSL, so will *not* work if you’re compiling with “-DNO_OPENSSL=1”.)