[Live-devel] Need help for WebRTC using Live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 20 06:37:04 PDT 2022

WebRTC is something that I played around with more than 4 years ago, but gave up on it, because:
	1/ I found that it was just too difficult to get working on multiple browsers (and/or multiple versions of the same browser). Each browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) seemed to have a different idea of what was needed to get WebRTC to work. I really only ever got it to work with Firefox, and then only for some versions of Firefox; whenever Firefox got updated, I found that WebRTC worked differently, or wouldn’t work at all.
	2/ I came to the conclusion that WebRTC - with all of its complexity - really made sense only for peer-to-peer real-time media; i.e., conferencing - where low latency is important. It didn’t really make sense for RTSP sources, where low latency is less important.

So the code for this is dead, way out of date, and won’t be resurrected.

IMHO, the most fruitful way to get live video in browsers is not via WebRTC, but instead via HLS or DASH - because this leverages off the existing infrastructure for on-demand video (streaming movies), which is likely to remain by far the most dominant use of video in browsers into the future (and thus something that is much less likely to break in browsers). So, if you’re interested in a LIVE555-based solution for this, you could take a look at our "LIVE555 HLS Proxy” code:
	http://live555.com/hlsProxy/