[Live-devel] RTSP playback mp4(H265)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Aug 9 00:37:36 PDT 2023

Unfortunately, from your description, it’s not clear exactly what you’re trying to do.

Note that our RTSP server implementation cannot stream from ‘MP4 files’.  Instead, H.265 (or H.264) video data has to be stored in an Elementary Stream file (with filename suffix “.265” or “.264”, respectively).  This Elementary Stream file consists of a sequence of H.265 (or H.264) NAL units, each preceded by a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 ’start code’.

You say that you combined two H.265 slice NAL units into a single (whole-frame) NAL unit, but were unable to successfully stream that.  I suggest that you first make sure that this produces an Elementary Stream that VLC can play ***as a file***, rather than being streamed.  I.e., generate a Elementary Stream file (with each NAL unit preceded by a ’start code’, as noted above).  Then check whether VLC can play this.  (You may have to first convert this Elementary Stream file into a .mp4 file, e.g., by running something like
	ffmpeg -i input.h265 -c copy output.mp4

But note that VLC is not our software, so we really can’t help you much with VLC problems.