[Live-devel] Connection to RTSP server failing after some time

g.jaegy g.jaegy at imagine3d.fr
Thu Jan 19 10:18:23 PST 2023

Hi Ross,

I've encountered a weird issue on a customer site today and I'm not sure how to progress.

Our software creates a RTSP server, using a custom source, relying on multicast for transport, all on a local network.

Everything works fine, I can connect one or multiple clients and all clients connect fine and receive the stream as expected.

However, after some time (5-10 minutes) and a number of connecting/disconnecting sessions, any new client seem to not be able to connect anymore.

Whether I connect with ffplay or VLC doesn't make any difference. Using ffplay, the client remain stuck (see the attached screen).

I really don't know how to get further information. It seems to me the client can't connect to the RTSP server. On some occasion, with another company client based on ffmpeg, we got some "connection refused" message.

Would you have any advice on how I could find further information on what's going on ?

Once the problem appears, no client can't connect anymore and the only solution is to restart the process running the RTSP server.

I'm not sure if the issue is down to the customer network or not, I will try to reproduce the issue once back in the office, however, during all the tests I've done before, I've never had that issue.

Thanks a lot for any advice on how I could progress with this issue.

Regards,
Gregory Jaegy