[Live-devel] Connection to RTSP server failing after some time

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 23 09:14:43 PST 2023

> On Jan 23, 2023, at 7:41 AM, g.jaegy <g.jaegy at imagine3d.fr> wrote:
>
> OK I keep that hint in mind as well.
>

> So according to the documentation I could gather, increasing that limit on Windows seems to consist in defining FD_SETSIZE with a higher value (default being 64) before including "Winsock2.h" header. I can easily do that in our code.
>
> I assume I'll however have to add that preprocessor definition in live555 code as well.

No, FD_SETSIZE is already there. Should you modify that in a ‘winsock’ header file, you don’t need to alter the LIVE555 code; you just recompile it.

But this is NOT what I was talking about when I said that perhaps "the server is running into an OS-imposed limit on the number of open sockets that a process can use”.  I was referring to a limit within the Windows OS itself.  You'd need to increase this limit (which may or may not have anything to do with FD_SETSIZE) within Windows itself.

But why on Earth are you running serious server code on Windows?  I didn’t realize anyone did that anymore.  You’re unlikely to encounter this problem if you run your server on Linux or FreeBSD.