[Live-devel] HEVC RTSP Client can only get 1/3 of the frame

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 30 23:23:24 PST 2023

It’s hard to answer your question, because it’s not clear where your problem is occurring.  You say that you’re using the LIVE555 RTSP server software to stream from a H.265 camera, so I presume that your server uses custom code to capture H.265 NAL units from the camera, and feed them to the server (for streaming).  In your ‘Stack Overflow’ postings, you say that each frame consists of three ‘slice’ NAL units, so as long as your custom server code is delivering each slice NAL unit to the LIVE555 code one-at-a-time, then it should, in principle, be working OK.

Are you seeing any server error messages (to ’stdout’) like "The input frame data was too large for our buffer size”?

Do you know whether your client is receiving all of the three ‘slice’ NAL units for each frame?  One of the responses to your first ‘Stack Overflow’ posting claimed that FFMPEG can’t decode individual slices.  If that’s true, then you (i.e., your receiving client) would need to accumulate and concatenate the slices into a single frame NAL unit before feeding it to FFMPEG.  Are you doing this?  (In any case, this would be outside the scope of LIVE555, and thus this mailing list.)