[Live-devel] Proxy server disconnection and reconnection

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 19 15:18:47 PDT 2023

> On May 19, 2023, at 3:11 PM, Flavio Alves <flavio.alves at vitalintelligencedata.com> wrote:
>
> Then, I force the end of live555ProxyServer. ffplay does not stop, but stops working, as expected.
> When I start again live555ProxyServer, it starts normally.
>
> Then I stop ffplay and try to connect again. I get this error:
>
> Connection to tcp://192.168.100.123:8554?timeout=0 failed: Connection refused
> rtsp://192.168.100.123:8554/proxyStream: Connection refused
>
> I need to wait for some time and restart live555ProxyServer to get it running again.

Yes, this is normal.  The TCP socket (in the OS) is in the TIME_WAIT state, and you need to be patient and wait until you can start the server again.

This web page
	https://serverframework.com/asynchronousevents/2011/01/time-wait-and-its-design-implications-for-protocols-and-scalable-servers.html
explains this in more detail.

(In normal operation, there should be no need to stop (terminate) the “LIVE555 Proxy Server”.)