[Live-devel] General questions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 4 11:06:27 PDT 2023

> On Oct 4, 2023, at 10:41 AM, Willdoner Christian via live-devel <live-devel at us.live555.com> wrote:
>
>     • Can you please explain what the ref_estimate_bitrate variable does

Your implementation of the “createNewStreamSource()” virtual function (in a subclass of “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession”) should set this (as an ‘out’ parameter) to be an estimate of the stream’s bitrate, in kbps.  This value is used to specify the stream’s bandwidth in the "b=AS:” line in the stream’s SDP description (that’s returned as a result of a RTSP “DESCRIBE” command).  (This is not especially important, because few RTSP clients do anything meaningful with the "b=AS:” line.)

>     • I don’t know if it was asked before, but do you know if you can somehow define a fix streaming framerate of the RTSP server?

No, because it’s the stream’s media - not the server - that defines a stream’s framerate (and other parameters), and how fast it streams.  So, if you want your stream to transmit at a higher (or lower) bitrate and/or framerate, then you’ll need to encode it at that bitrate/framerate.