[Live-devel] Encrypted program stream by RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Apr 26 11:24:01 PDT 2004

>I am wondering if it is possible not to de-mux the program stream and send
>the encrypted program stream directly through RTP. At the receiver end, I
>might use the RTP filter to catch the data and then decrypt the program
>stream. In other words, can I just use RTP as a transmission medium (like
>TCP)? And some other middleware will be used to decrypt the content
>contained inside the RTP payload.

Yes, you could do this using the following chain of objects:

At the sender:
         ByteStreamFileSource[*] -> EncryptionFilter -> SimpleRTPSink

and at the receivier:
         SimpleRTPSource -> DecryptionFilter -> some sink

where "EncryptionFilter" and "DecryptionFilter" would be new filter classes
that you would write.

[*] Note that you must use the "preferredFrameSize" and "playTimePerFrame"
parameters when you create your "ByteStreamFileSource", so that the
streaming happens at the proper rate.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>