[Live-devel] Can this be done reasonably?

Neil Alexander nalex at hand-off.com
Tue Aug 3 13:08:02 PDT 2004

Hello All,

I hesitate to ask, but here goes:

I have attempted to use the QuickTime Streaming API without success. I
was able to go a certain distance, but unfortunately, all the
requirements could not be met. Here are those requirements:

1) Base platform to send from is Mac OSX 10.3+
2) I would like to send RTSP compliant feeds.
3) > 1 simultaneous feed (multiple .sdp files)
4) I need to overlay information on each video feed (frame count,
clock, whatever)
5) Full control over camera frame rate and resolution.

With QuickTime Broadcast API, I could do all except #4. Unfortunately
this requirement is not negotiable.

Using the RTP components within QuickTime appear possible, but quite
involved.

I am just beginning to look at Live.com's stuff. Several things are not
clear.

OS-X support seems to be secondary.
How the heck do I view a stream from the samples? All are command lines
and don't appear to have any gui attached.
Are there any Xcode/Project Builder projects? Coming from the GUI
world, doing command line building is somewhat alien (though I'm
willing to try).
Does the requirements list above seem reasonable to do from Live?
Is it necessary or easier to use the Darwin injector stuff, or can I
avoid using the QTSS?

Any help on this decision would be appreciated. I've burned a lot of
time on QuickTime, and I am quite frustrated at the lack of
documentation and help. The QTSS list is pretty much dead, and no

Thanks!

Neil Alexander
nalex AT hand-off.com