[Live-devel] playing mpeg-4 video-MP4-ES-1 file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Feb 11 09:00:29 PST 2004

At 06:29 AM 2/11/04, you wrote:
>Following your suggestions, I have been able to stream mpeg-4 video and
>have got the resultant
>video-MP4-ES-1 file. I don't have any media player installed in LINUX and
>therefore I am using QuickTime and Real Player in Windows to play this
>file. I have renamed this file to temp.mp4 but the file is not being
>opened by these players.   The error message states that the file is not a
>valid mpeg-4 file.
>
>Please let me know the solution to this problem.

As Bryn Reeves notes, you probably won't be able to play this file directly
within most media players.  However, that wasn't your original
question.  You original question was: How to get a MPEG-4 video file that
you can *stream*, using the "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" or
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" test programs.

If you rename your file "test.m4v", you will be able to stream it using
either of these test programs - and then you will be able to play the
resulting stream using "vlc" player, or "QuickTime Player" (by opening the
appropriate "rtsp://" URL).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>