[Live-devel] Multiple Files sequentially streamed

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jan 21 16:12:03 PST 2004

At 02:46 PM 1/21/04, you wrote:
>First off, thanks for the recent updates, I had created my own code that
>essentially "skipped" the DESCRIBE command before SETUP.  But now the most
>recent code does it for me.  Great.

Yes, I had found that the "VLC" media player <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/>
issues its "SETUP" commands on a different RTSP connection from its earlier
"DESCRIBE" command, so I needed to modify the "RTSPServer" implementation
to handle this.

>One of the things I'd like to do is have the client request a particular
>presentation lets say 'rtsp://server/mypres1'.  This presentation is made
>up of 3 MPEG2 TS files that I'd like to stream sequentially.  Now, I think
>I can do this with the ByteStreamMultiFileSource, right?  The added
>feature I need is a way to set the RTP Marker bit every time the file
>changes.  Is there a way to connect the RTPSink and the
>ByteStreamMultiFileSource together in order to share the file change
>information?  Or at least any ideas on how I might do this?

First, you should make sure that you're able to stream a single MPEG-2 TS
file (i.e., directly from a "ByteStreamFileSource") OK.  (As I noted last
week, you need to set the "preferredFrameSize" and "playTimePerFrame"
parameters appropriately when calling "ByteStreamFileSource::createNew()".)

Now the bad news: "ByteStreamMultiFileSource:createNew()" currently
doesn't  take these parameters, so there's currently no way for
"ByteStreamMultiFileSource" to create its component "ByteStreamFileSource"s
with these parameters.

This is an oversight, and I'll try to fix it within a day or two.  Once
I've done this, I'll also provide a way for the "RTPSink" subclass to tell
whether or not the input file has changed.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>