[Live-devel] Multiple Files sequentially streamed

Jeff Oliver Jeffrey.Oliver at mascorp.com
Wed Jan 21 16:31:04 PST 2004

Ross Finlayson wrote:

> At 02:46 PM 1/21/04, you wrote:
>
>> First off, thanks for the recent updates, I had created my own code
>> that essentially "skipped" the DESCRIBE command before SETUP.  But
>> now the most recent code does it for me.  Great.
>

> Yes, I had found that the "VLC" media player
> <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/> issues its "SETUP" commands on a
> different RTSP connection from its earlier "DESCRIBE" command, so I
> needed to modify the "RTSPServer" implementation to handle this.
>
>> One of the things I'd like to do is have the client request a
>> particular presentation lets say 'rtsp://server/mypres1'.  This
>> presentation is made up of 3 MPEG2 TS files that I'd like to stream
>> sequentially.  Now, I think I can do this with the
>> ByteStreamMultiFileSource, right?  The added feature I need is a way
>> to set the RTP Marker bit every time the file changes.  Is there a
>> way to connect the RTPSink and the ByteStreamMultiFileSource together
>> in order to share the file change information?  Or at least any ideas
>> on how I might do this?
>

> First, you should make sure that you're able to stream a single MPEG-2
> TS file (i.e., directly from a "ByteStreamFileSource") OK.  (As I
> noted last week, you need to set the "preferredFrameSize" and
> "playTimePerFrame" parameters appropriately when calling
> "ByteStreamFileSource::createNew()".)

Yep, I have no problem there.  I can stream at a constant rate a M2TS
file.  If I wanted to be smart about it, I'd rig something up that
parsed the TS and streamed consistent with the rate of the PCR....but
that's future work.

> Now the bad news: "ByteStreamMultiFileSource:createNew()" currently
> doesn't  take these parameters, so there's currently no way for
> "ByteStreamMultiFileSource" to create its component
> "ByteStreamFileSource"s with these parameters.

> This is an oversight, and I'll try to fix it within a day or two.
> Once I've done this, I'll also provide a way for the "RTPSink"
> subclass to tell whether or not the input file has changed.

I've already changed the ByteStreamMultiFileSource to accept the
preferredFrameSize and playTimePerFrame parameters.  I essentially
copied the exact same stuff from the ByteStreamFileSource.   It took all
of 5 mins and works perfectly.