[Live-devel] exec() and testprogs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Mar 17 11:14:40 PST 2004

At 09:46 AM 3/17/04, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm working on a simple application which works with openRTSP, testRelay
>and a calendar. I've written my own scheduling calendar (basically a
>sorted list), I don't know if this could have been done with
>TaskScheduler of liveMedia.

Yes, probably.

>I would like to launch from within the
>calendar multiple istances of openRTSP and a slightly modified
>testRelay, each istance with each own parameters at  given times.
>Some time ago I've read on this ML some issues about "events vs
>threads".
>I'm not a real programmer and I obviously would like to keep things as
>simple as possible. So I plan to use the exec() family of functions in
>order to "launch" openRTSP and testRelay: is this possible or is there
>some architectural limitation about events that I'm missing?

Yes, using "exec()" to launch multiple instances of applications that use
the LIVE.COM libraries is perfectly OK, because each application runs as a
separate process, using its own copy of the libraries.

(What you can't do is launch multiple *threads* within the same process
that access the libraries.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>