[Live-devel] Beginners question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Oct 18 17:36:00 PDT 2004

>Ross, I noticed a lot of liveCaster announces on the MBone here lately. It
>seems that when liveCaster announces a new mp3, it sends a new SAP with a
>new SDP, with an increased counter in the o= line, however it does not
>send a delete for the old SDP.

We can't do this in general, because once liveCaster quits/restarts (with a
new SDP), we have no knowledge of the old SDP.  (In any case, almost noone
sends SAP deletions, as far as I can tell.)

>VLC however doesn't like this at all. It treats each o= as a unique
>session, and if we don't get a specific delete for a session (SDP), we
>wait for a timeout (which is quite long in VLC).

Your SDP/SAP watcher program should instead be reclaiming SDP announcements
based on the 'end time' mentioned in the SDP "t=" lines.  In the case of
"liveCaster", its announcements set the SDP end time to be ~27 minutes, so
- if you reclaim SDP announcements correctly - old, unused announcements
should stick around no longer than 27 minutes.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>