[Live-devel] problems with VPN

Oleg Ivanov ivanov_o at softhome.net
Fri Oct 29 20:09:26 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

Firs of all - thanks to the Live.com team for their great work

Recently I came across a weird situation. It looks like liveMedia/VLC somehow conflicts with a VPN that I use to connect
to my company's network. Here is my situation:

On one of my local computers, the 'test machine', I run testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe and
stream a file. On another computer, the 'main machine',
I receive the stream using VLC. If I sign in to my company's VPN (from
the main machine) and then run VLC (provided that testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe was
started a while ago and streaming a video file), either the VLC or the VPN will crash.
If I start the VLC before starting the VPN,
nothing bad happens. I had tried using QuickTime as a receiver in this set-up, it works fine.

I have Windows XP on both machines, they are connected to Linksys router by cables
(no WiFi involved), the VPN is Windows-built-in one.

Had anyone ever experienced any problems using liveMedia libraries (with or w/out VLC) and
VPN in the same time? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Oleg